EDIT: Floral Dimensions has made the difficult decision to close to the public. This has been a hard week of adulting, where we have to look hard at the facts of our current situation, and make difficult choices. Bringing beauty, comfort, hope and happiness to durham is our mission. It’s why we get out of bed in the morning. So when we made the choice to close, it was one of the hardest things we’ve done in recent memory, and we’re 35 years into this floral business. We’re going to miss the faces of our regular customers over the next few weeks, and each other.
One of the very best ways you can support our small businesses like ours is through the purchase of a gift certificate. Gift certificates are available by emailing Bea, our owner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here at Floral Dimensions we’re settling into the new rhythms of a small business in Durham, NC weathering COVID-19. That means disinfecting, playing catch up on business in the quiet time, and planning for the future. If we’re being completely honest this is kind of worrisome time. It’s made slightly less daunting by realizing that small businesses everywhere are facing the same issue.
As we move deeper into this season of managing a business in the wake of COVID-19, we’ve made a few adjustments. First we’ve adjusted our hours.
We’ll be open Monday through Friday 9:30-4:30
We’re open Saturdays 10-1 for deliveries only.
Through the end of the month, we’re offering 20% off all local delivery orders. You can order online, by phone or email. We highly recommend giving the gift of a plant! We have a beautiful selection of succulents, and birds nest ferns. Make sure to call the shop to order your spring plants. They’ll brighten your quarantine as we all work together to flatten the curve.
We’re looking forward to welcoming the people Durham back to our store soon.
We’re gearing up for a beautiful spring here at Floral Dimensions and we’re being inspired by some many things!
First, we’re working on some beautiful made to order wedding arrangements! We’re best known for our custom floral wedding arrangements. We’ve created some beautiful ones in the past, and we have lots of beautiful 2020 weddings lined up! It’s also long been our dream to offer ready made florals for online order. We’re excited to bring flowers to even more brides in 2020! Email email@example.com so we can email a guide out to you
Second, we’re planning some store events- book an evening your friends to come out to the store for wine and cheese and learn the basics of floral arrangement. Participants will leave with a beautiful arrangement to enjoy. Space is limited, so if you’d like to plan an event, please contact Charity in the marketing department at firstname.lastname@example.org and she’ll get you set up with pricing, dates and times.
We’re also having our first Garden Party! Come out to the store on June 10th to meet the staff, have a mimosa and a bite to eat, listen to some local music, see our plants and flowers. We’ll have lots of stems available for you to make your own bouquet, or Stephanie, Caitlin, or Jose can make one for you! Stay tuned for another special guest or guests well have at the store that day!
Finally, we invite you to sign up for our monthly newsletter. We send out store events, announcements and other info and you’ll be able to see what we’ve been working on.
Here at the flower shop in Durham, we love our snake plants. We love it so much that we’ve made a list of all the reasons we love it and should immediately put down your phone, come to store and get one (or order one online).
So welcome to our first listicle as the cool kids like to call it: 6 reasons you should own a Snake Plant
- The Snake Plant has an official name: Sanseveria. It’s actually a wide genus (a fancy word for type of plant species) that includes many different tyes of spiral leaves and color.
- It’s great for decorating. If you have a tricky space you need to fill, a snake plant is uniquely qualified to fill that job. It looks great in an empty corner, and various sizes and colors in which a sanseveria is available provide depth and texture to otherwise drab and visually uninspiring places. Plus, it’s a great way to create a modern minimal look.
- Snake Plants are eco friendly. if you’re the type that loves to keep the lights off, live in a drought prone area, like to save water, a snake plant solves all your house plant needs. It thrives in low light and with very little water.
Our beautiful 4 foot snake plant is available to purchase from our online store. Click the image to head see all our plants.
- Snake plants come in all sizes: if you live in a tiny house, and have a small window sill or a palatial mansion, and need to fill a space in front of a tall narrow window, there’s a snake plant for you. Here at the flower shop in Durham, NC we have snake plants that range from a few inches to over 4 feet tall. You can shop them here.
- Sanseveria cleans your house for you! While it won’t fold the laundry or do the dishes, sources laud the sometimes succulent for its abilities to clean the air and recommends wait high plants for best results. It absorbs toxins and impurities through its leaves and gives off pure oxygen. So if you need some fresh air, but are stuck inside, the snake plant might be part of your answer!
- Finally, it’s whimsically multifaceted: the plant also called Viper’s Bowstring Hemp because it’s very strong fibers have been used to make bowstrings. So if you find yourself in a pickle and need some strong string, look no further than that snake plants in your north facing window.
One of our smaller snake plants, which can purchase by visiting our store at 3401 University Drive in Durham, NC, or buy purchasing as part of larger set online. Click the image to see Urban Collection.
35 years ago, Bea and Jon Miller, purchased a business in a vintage building in Hope Valley Farms that at one point had been a farm house, and founded Floral Dimensions. Inspired by the beauty of their life in the Netherlands, where they were surrounded by flowers every day, they built one of the oldest and most respected flower shops and businesses in Durham, North Carolina.
Over the years they were joined by some very talented people with expertise in every part of the plant world, from highly respected horticulturalists to accredited award winning floral designers. Today, our highly trained staff includes 3 designers, 2 Durham floral delivery drivers and a sales associate. Our arrangements are sought out by the Washington Duke Inn, The Chancellor of Duke and the best Durham wedding planners. We’ve curated thriving relationships with local growers who send us dozens of bucketfuls of beautiful stems every day. We’re immensely proud of to be on the top of so many must have lists for the swankiest Durham social events.
Our best moments, though, are the ones with the clients who walk into our shop and order flowers for every stage of life. We’ve seen them as they head off on first dates, and pick up floral arrangements before they head off to propose marriage. We’re there when they plan their weddings, welcome their first grandchild, and when loved ones are no longer with them. We bring beauty, happiness, and comfort to every life event just when people need it, and this is our greatest satisfaction.
There’s a quote that runs around the internet telling us that it’s not work if you do what you love. We recognize that not everyone get the opportunity to do what they love for a living. At the risk of sounding overly sentimental, we understand that it’s a privilege to get out of bed every morning, head into the shop and handcraft beauty and happiness and then send it out to the people of Durham, NC and beyond.
Thank you to all who’ve made this possible.