Here at the flower shop in Durham, we love our snake plants. We love it so much that we’ve made a list of all the reasons we love it and should immediately put down your phone, come to store and get one (or order one online).
So welcome to our first listicle as the cool kids like to call it: 6 reasons you should own a Snake Plant
- The Snake Plant has an official name: Sanseveria. It’s actually a wide genus (a fancy word for type of plant species) that includes many different tyes of spiral leaves and color.
- It’s great for decorating. If you have a tricky space you need to fill, a snake plant is uniquely qualified to fill that job. It looks great in an empty corner, and various sizes and colors in which a sanseveria is available provide depth and texture to otherwise drab and visually uninspiring places. Plus, it’s a great way to create a modern minimal look.
- Snake Plants are eco friendly. if you’re the type that loves to keep the lights off, live in a drought prone area, like to save water, a snake plant solves all your house plant needs. It thrives in low light and with very little water.
Our beautiful 4 foot snake plant is available to purchase from our online store. Click the image to head see all our plants.
- Snake plants come in all sizes: if you live in a tiny house, and have a small window sill or a palatial mansion, and need to fill a space in front of a tall narrow window, there’s a snake plant for you. Here at the flower shop in Durham, NC we have snake plants that range from a few inches to over 4 feet tall. You can shop them here.
- Sanseveria cleans your house for you! While it won’t fold the laundry or do the dishes, sources laud the sometimes succulent for its abilities to clean the air and recommends wait high plants for best results. It absorbs toxins and impurities through its leaves and gives off pure oxygen. So if you need some fresh air, but are stuck inside, the snake plant might be part of your answer!
- Finally, it’s whimsically multifaceted: the plant also called Viper’s Bowstring Hemp because it’s very strong fibers have been used to make bowstrings. So if you find yourself in a pickle and need some strong string, look no further than that snake plants in your north facing window.
One of our smaller snake plants, which can purchase by visiting our store at 3401 University Drive in Durham, NC, or buy purchasing as part of larger set online. Click the image to see Urban Collection.
35 years ago, Bea and Jon Miller, purchased a business in a vintage building in Hope Valley Farms that at one point had been a farm house, and founded Floral Dimensions. Inspired by the beauty of their life in the Netherlands, where they were surrounded by flowers every day, they built one of the oldest and most respected flower shops and businesses in Durham, North Carolina.
Over the years they were joined by some very talented people with expertise in every part of the plant world, from highly respected horticulturalists to accredited award winning floral designers. Today, our highly trained staff includes 3 designers, 2 Durham floral delivery drivers and a sales associate. Our arrangements are sought out by the Washington Duke Inn, The Chancellor of Duke and the best Durham wedding planners. We’ve curated thriving relationships with local growers who send us dozens of bucketfuls of beautiful stems every day. We’re immensely proud of to be on the top of so many must have lists for the swankiest Durham social events.
Our best moments, though, are the ones with the clients who walk into our shop and order flowers for every stage of life. We’ve seen them as they head off on first dates, and pick up floral arrangements before they head off to propose marriage. We’re there when they plan their weddings, welcome their first grandchild, and when loved ones are no longer with them. We bring beauty, happiness, and comfort to every life event just when people need it, and this is our greatest satisfaction.
There’s a quote that runs around the internet telling us that it’s not work if you do what you love. We recognize that not everyone get the opportunity to do what they love for a living. At the risk of sounding overly sentimental, we understand that it’s a privilege to get out of bed every morning, head into the shop and handcraft beauty and happiness and then send it out to the people of Durham, NC and beyond.
Thank you to all who’ve made this possible.